Brunswick / Southeast GA News
Savannah Business Journal Staff Report
October 5, 2016 - Following Governor Deal’s declaration of a State of Emergency, the Glynn County Board of Commissioners has issued a State of Emergency for Glynn County. County offices and courts will be closed on Friday, Oct. 7, 2016.
Glynn County Board of Commissioners has called for a voluntary evacuation for the islands (St. Simons, Jekyll Island, Sea Island, and Little St. Simons Island), low lying areas, and mobile homes that is effective immediately.
At this time, an evacuation of the mainland is not anticipated. There are no plans to close FJ Torras causeway at any time during the storm unless
it is physically impossible to cross the causeway due to water. However, should conditions warrant a closure, emergency services will no longer be available to island residents and evacuation will not be possible.
Impacts from Hurricane Matthew are expected to be felt in Glynn County beginning Thursday night. As the storm gets closer to our area, impacts will continue to amplify. Damaging winds, heavy rain, and flooding are likely. Life threatening storm surge is possible with large destructive surf. Dangerous rip currents and significant beach erosion is anticipated. These weather conditions are likely to cause downed trees and power outages that could last for several days.
The Need a Ride Program has been activated for the islands, low-lying areas, and mobile home. People who need a ride should go to pick up points at Harris Teeter and Lanier Plaza beginning at 9:00 AM, Thursday, October 6, 2016. If people need to evacuate pets through the Need a Ride Program, you will need to report to the Lanier Plaza pick up area. You will be taken to the nearest Red Cross shelter.
The regularly scheduled Board of Commissioners meeting for Thursday, October 6, 2016, has been canceled.
- July 27 - Jacksonville lands 1,500 jobs and new Amazon Distribution Facility
- Nov. 29 - Financial Problems Plague Service Agency leading to shut down of its St. Marys bottling plant plan
- Aug. 9 - Jesup Teen Challenge Awarded $500K Fed Grant for Housing Rehab
- Sept. 20 – GSI Commerce expands in Brunswick; 750 New Seasonal Employees
- Aug. 31 - ABC Series, Ocean Mysteries with Jeff Corwin Films on Jekyll Island
- Aug 25 – Southeast Georgia’s Primary Daily, Florida Times-Union, to Cut 47 Jobs
- In Dramatic Reversal, Jekyll Development Authority Will Pursue Two Projects
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20