By Lou Phelps, Savannah Business Journal
March 22, 2017 – The Georgia State Senate today adopted the joint House/Senate Conference Committee Report on Governor Nathan Deal’s state budget, after the Conference Committee reached agreement this week on the budget for fiscal year 2018 which begins July 1. The bill goes to the Governor for his signature.
Sen. Jack Hill, representing Bulloch and portions of Effingham counties, presented the Conference Committee Report to the Senators today on the budget bill, HB 44. It passed 52-0.
The budget is built on a projected total state revenues from all sources of $45,249,350,745, termed “Revenue Sources Available for Appropriation.” Details on state revenues and expenses can be found at thttp://www.senate.ga.gov/sbeo/Documents/AppropriationsDocuments/FY2018/General/FY18G_CC_Final.pdf.
This is $2 billion less that has actually come in this year, and been appropriated, either through the original budget or the Supplemental budget that was adopted in January. State revenues continue to climb from multiple sources, overall, but the budget is built on conservative forecasts. For example, a significant portion of the State revenues come from the Federal government, which could be reduced.
- Mar. 4 – State’s Global Commerce Report shows 1,400 new jobs in January by foreign companies
- Mar.3 – House version of Eminent Domain bill passes, but Senate sponsor will recommend more study over the summer
- Mar. 1 – New GA Dept of Homeland Security passes Senate, but only after amendments offered by Sen. Lester Jackson
- Feb. 27 - Casino Bills DEAD for this year in the General Assembly
- Feb. 4 – Leaders from Georgia’s top two political parties weigh in on President Trump’s SCOTUS Nominee
- Jan. 30 – UPDATED: Casino Bills now filed give new Gaming Commission control over counties where casinos can be located
- Jan. 26 – Rep. Stephens still 25 votes short even in the House for his “Destination Entertainment” (translation :Casinos) bills
- Jan. 24 - UPDATE from Jan. 17 - Lt. Gov.says 'No,' but Rep.Stephens tells Atlanta media he has the votes for casino bill
- Jan. 20 – On Inauguration Day, House Dem Caucus launches ‘Georgia Resists’
- Jan. 9 - Rep. Bill Hitchens – Weekly Report: Will seek to extend Pipeline Study Committee for two more years
- Jan. 3- Gov. Deal names David Werner as new incoming executive counsel
- Dec. 8 – Gov. Deal’s office announces November tax revenues up 4.6 percent
- Nov. 28 – Drought continues to plague Georgia; 110 counties now in ‘Drought Response’ designations
- Oct. 29 - Gov Nathan Deal announces Anthem, Inc. to create 1,800 jobs in Midtown Atlanta
- Sept. 15 - Members of Congress from Georgia named NFIB Guardians of Small Business
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20