Education & Career Dev.
Savannah Business Journal Staff Report
April 21, 2017 - The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) will unveil "Chaos Concepción," a permanent, monumental sculpture by internationally renowned artist Jedd Novatt, on Friday, April 28. The sculpture will be installed in the Alex Townsend Courtyard at the SCAD Museum of Art, 601 Turner Blvd., Savannah, Georgia.
"Chaos Concepción" is the second Jedd Novatt sculpture that has been donated to the university. A work from Novatt's Chaos Series, "Chaos Mundaka," is installed on the front green of the SCAD Atlanta campus. "Chaos Pacific," an exhibition of 15 monotypes by the artist, is on display at the SCAD Museum of Art through June 4. Novatt's sculptures have been exhibited extensively in galleries and museums in the United States, Europe and Asia, including Sotheby's prestigious annual exhibition "Beyond Limits" at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire and the Pérez Art Museum Miami. Novatt's work is also represented in numerous public and private collections worldwide.
"The roots of SCAD's friendship with Jedd Novatt run deep," says SCAD President and Founder Paula Wallace. "In Lacoste, SCAD's European home, Jedd completed his formal arts education, prior to the establishment of SCAD Lacoste, where students now learn every quarter. His sculpture 'Chaos Mundaka' stands proudly on the lawn of SCAD Atlanta on Peachtree Street, where it's been viewed by millions. This spring SCAD continues its strong tradition of sharing public art with our communities around the world with another Jedd Novatt sculpture, this time, at the SCAD Museum of Art in the Alex Townsend Memorial Courtyard, the new home of 'Chaos Concepción.'"
Novatt's "Chaos" series explores the internal and external dynamics of space, with works that seemingly defy gravity in effortless, kinetic ways. His fixed-motion sculptures push boundaries and challenge expectations by creating a unique aesthetic through the use of lines and borders to sculpt a space more than a material. Novatt is known for using the raw qualities of materials, such as stainless steel or bronze, to magnify their own notions of purity, power, permanence or stoicism.
The unveiling will take place during a dedication ceremony on Friday, April 28 at 5:30pm hosted by President Paula Wallace. The event is free and open to the public.
- Apr. 17 – Gov. Deal selects Skylar Huggett of Savannah Technical College for Georgia Occupational Award of Leadership (GOAL)
- Apr. 9 - SCADstyle 2017 brings style, design leaders to SCAD Global Campuses; Business of Fashion Founder Imran Amed is 2017 Honorary Chair
- Mar. 31 – 12:15 a.m. Campus Carry bill comes back to Senate floor from a Conference Committee … and passes
- Mar. 28 – CORRECTION: Bill passes in Georgia Senate to pull State funds from ‘sanctuary’ Colleges and Universities
- Mar. 24 – UPDATED 3:20 p.m.-Governor’s bill to improve 'Failing Schools' passes in Senate; Goes back to House
- FEATURE: Hotel Indigo Savannah Historic District unveils Six-Story Art Installation Created in Partnership with SCAD
- Mar. 14 – Sweany, ‘Working Group’ to rcommend ASU end Intercollegiate Competition this year due to GSU consolidation
- Mar. 14 - Veritas Academy announces “A Taste of the Classics” fundraiser March 31; Goal to raise $30,000
- Mar. 7 - Chatham now has 12 'Chronically Failing Schools' up from 6 last year, as Governor pushes for more State control
- Mar. 2 - Parker’s and WSAV-TV Award $500 Academic Scholarship to Senior at Benedictine Military School
- Feb. 21 - College and Career Fair Open to the Public at Sol C. Johnson High School
- Feb. 20 - St. Andrew’s School Receives Stephen P. Robinson Collaboration Grant from SAIS
- Feb. 15 – Increasing the Profit – the ‘Net Proceeds’ – from the Lottery to fund HOPE and Pre-K is goal of SB 5
- Feb. 8 - Parker’s and WSAV-TV Award $500 Academic Scholarship to Senior at Hilton Head Island High School
- Jan. 25 - Parker’s Donates $5,000 to Liberty County School System Through Fueling the Community Program
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20