By Lou Phelps, Savannah Business Journal
February 15, 2017 – Comcast has notified its Savannah area customers that effective March 12, their cable subscribers will no longer be able to view WGSA television channel. For Comcast customers, it is Channel 13 in the Savannah area.
WGSA is an Independent television station for Georgia's Coastal Empire and South Carolina's Lowcountry that is licensed to Baxley, Georgia. It broadcasts a high definition digital signal on UHF channel 35 (or virtual channel 35.1 via PSIP) from a transmitter on Fort Argyle Road/SR 204 in western unincorporated Chatham County, Georgia.
As of September 11, 2016, WGSA lost its “CW” television affiliation to WSAV digital 3.2, and it's now an independent station.
The company is locally owned by the Southern TV Corporation, with studios on Mall Blvd, Savannah.
Syndicated programming on WGSA includes Access Hollywood, The Insider, The Jerry Springer Show, and The Dr. Oz Show among others.
- Jan. 12 – Lou Phelps, Publisher of Coastal Empire News, named to Board of Directors, Society of Professional Journalists/GA Chapter
- Jan. 5 – Deb Thompson, General Manager of WSAV-TV for 12 years, leaves to join Senior Citizens, Inc’s management team
- Nov. 28 - Funeral Arrangements Announced for WTOC Reporter Don Logana
- Nov. 20 – COMMENTARY: A Great Guy; An even GREATER Community Journalist
- Nov. 3 – SMALL BUSINESS FOCUS: The Detail Department Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- Oct. 8 – 4:00 a.m. - Hurricane Matthew Forces Road Closures in Coastal Area; Multiple locations impassable as storm impacts increase
- Oct. 8 – 2:30 a.m.- Status of News, Information to expect from Chatham County Officials; Update on Power Outages
- Sept. 21 - Savannah Herald temporarily ends print edition, sells building and moves to digital publishing
- Sept. 21 - Exercising options, County Manager Lee Smith suggests Commissioners consider seeking new Library MOU
- Sept. 15 - Goodwin appointed Strategic Planning and Research VP at DX Marketing
- Aug. 24 - Speros hires Rik LaSpisa as Account Executive
- Aug. 15 - Carriage Trade Public Relations and Cecilia Russo Marketing Select Brooke Sheeler as Fall 2016 Intern
- Aug. 3 – WTGS-FOX’s parent company Sinclair reports Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- June 23 - WSAV News 3’s Dave Kartunen honored with National Murrow Award
- May 16 - Carriage Trade PR and Cecilia Russo Marketing Select Mary Miltiades as Summer Intern
- Apr. 8 - Visit Savannah and Visit Tybee Receive Local and District ADDY Awards
- Apr. 6 - Savannah Bananas signs multi-year deal with Alpha Media Savannah-Hilton Head
- Apr. 4 - Tess Hogue named Sales Manager for Savannah Business Journal and Coastal Family at Coastal Empire News
- Feb. 23 - Carriage Trade PR and Cecilia Russo Marketing Announces New Intern from Virginia Tech
- Jan. 21 – WTGS-TV (FOX) in Savannah promotes Tim Walsh to General Manager
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20