October 15, 2020 - Georgia Southern University has won the opportunity for a future contract with the U.S. Navy to help expand educational opportunities for active duty sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen. The University is among 119 colleges from across the country that were selected to provide distance and online learning curriculum and courses to the military members.
“I see this as a wonderful opportunity for Georgia Southern, a military friendly institution with campuses located next to Fort Stewart,” said retired Col. George Fredrick, Georgia Southern’s director of Military and Veteran Services. “The Marine Corps Parris Island training base is 82 miles from the Armstrong Campus, and about 60 miles from Statesboro is the United States Army Cyber Center of Excellence and the Army’s Signal Center of Excellence at Fort Gordon. I think that this is another testament to what kind of military friendly institution we are.”
The partnership with the newly formed United States Naval Community College (USNCC) stems from the U.S. Navy’s broader Education for Seapower Strategy, aimed at enhancing the enlisted force’s ability to master new and emerging technologies. The Navy is heavily invested in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, Fredrick said.
“At Georgia Southern University, we have strong programs in each of these areas,” he added. “I am confident that our strong educational capabilities and continued expansion of delivery modes assisted in earning this opportunity with the Navy.”
Fredrick also noted that the partnership with the USNCC could mean a potential increase in enrollment of sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen. Students will enroll through the USNCC and to selected institutions for delivery of courses and programs. The USNCC will launch the initiative in January 2021 with a pilot group of approximately 500 sailors and Marines. The program is expected to grow each year reaching full-scale operations of up to 25,000 students in January 2023 and eventually to 50,000 sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen attending institutions across the nation.
Visit GeorgiaSouthern.edu for more information.
40 Under 40AgribusinessBanking & FinanceBusiness BuzzzzzzzzBusiness EventsCEO ProfilesChambers of CommerceConstruction & BuildingCovid19Economic DevelopmentEducation & Career Dev.ElectionsEntertainment BusinessNews Features/SeriesHealth & HospitalsHospitality & TourismLawLocal Govts & PoliticsLocal Media & AgenciesManufacturingNational NewsNon-Profit OrganizationsPeople in the NewsPorts & TransportationResidential Real EstateRetail & Shopping CentersTechnology & InnovationWork Force Development
- JARROD TIPTON joins Method Engineering Group
- PHELPS ON POLITICS: Riley Disqualified From Holding Office; Who Knew WHAT and WHEN?
- Oct. 29 – Tony Center Files an Amicus Brief in the Tony Riley Election Issue on Behalf of District 2 Voters
- Oct. 27 - Mercy Housing Begins Final Phase of Savannah Gardens
- Oct. 28 - Fleet Feet Expands Georgia Footprint with New Store Opening in Pooler
- OPINION: United Way is coming together to exceed all usual limits
- Oct. 23 - Victoria Baylor to speak at Savannah Women in Business Event
- Oct. 26 - Great Oaks Bank Savannah Quarters Office Celebrates Grand Opening
- Oct. 27 - Parker’s Named in Top 10 “Best Gas Station Brands” by USA TODAY Readers
- Oct. 28 - Newsweek names Queensborough Best Bank in Georgia
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.